最近访问板块 发新帖
查看: 1921 | 回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[Hive] PostgreSQL testing tools with benchmark archive [复制链接]

论坛徽章:
跳转到指定楼层
1 [收藏(0)] [报告]
发表于 2011-12-20 09:46 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(25, 65, 117); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: normal; "><div class="asset-header" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 15px; font-weight: normal; "><br></span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 15px; font-weight: normal; ">By&nbsp;<a class="fn url" href="http://www.2ndquadrant.us/" style="background-color: transparent; color: rgb(18, 18, 18); ">Greg Smith</a>,&nbsp;January 17, 2011 2:41 AM&nbsp;</span></div><div class="asset-content entry-content" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><div class="asset-body" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">I maintain a number of project whose purpose in life is to make testing portions of PostgreSQL easier.&nbsp; All of these got a decent upgrade over this last week.<br><br><a href="https://github.com/gregs1104/stream-scaling" style="background-color: transparent; color: rgb(18, 18, 18); " target="_blank" target="_blank"><b>stream-scaling</b></a>&nbsp;tests how memory speed increases on servers as more cores are brought into play.&nbsp; It's fascinating data, enough of it there to start seeing some real trends.&nbsp; It now works correctly on systems with large amounts of CPU cache, because they have many cores.&nbsp; It was possible before for it to be so aggressive with sizing the test set to avoid cache impact that it used more memory than could be allocated with the current design of the stream code.&nbsp; That's been scaled back.&nbsp; If you have a 48 core server or larger, I could use some more testing of this new code to see if the new way I handle this make sense.<br><br><a href="https://github.com/gregs1104/peg" style="background-color: transparent; color: rgb(18, 18, 18); " target="_blank" target="_blank"><b>peg</b></a>&nbsp;is a script I wrote to make it easier to build PostgreSQL from source, typically for developer work or for temporarily trying a newer version on a production system.&nbsp; It was very easy to get confused with switch between projects and their associated git branches before; the documentation in this area is much improved.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br><a href="https://github.com/gregs1104/pgbench-tools" style="background-color: transparent; color: rgb(18, 18, 18); " target="_blank" target="_blank"><b>pgbench-tools</b></a>&nbsp;is my performance testing workhouse, allowing you to queue up days worth of benchmark mark and then have enough analysis tools available to make sense of it.&nbsp; The program now tracks the recently introduced pg_stat_bgwriter.buffers_backend_fsync parameter if you have a version that supports it (currently only a recent soure build--which brings us back to why peg is useful).&nbsp; You can also tell it to run each test for a fixed amount of time, which makes testing at wildly varying client/size values far easier.<br><br>As far as what you can do with pgbench-tools...as of today I am now<b>&nbsp;<a href="http://www.2ndquadrant.us/pgbench-results/index.htm" style="background-color: transparent; color: rgb(18, 18, 18); " target="_blank" target="_blank">sharing the benchmarking tests</a></b>&nbsp;I am doing on PostgreSQL 9.1 on the most powerful server I have unlimited use of.&nbsp; 8 cores, 16GB RAM, 3 disk RAID-0 database drives, 1 disk WAL volume, Areca Battery-backed cache.&nbsp; You can see the results.&nbsp; Runs are organized into test sets, each of which represents some sort of change to configuration.&nbsp; For example, #1 in this data is only running SELECT, #2 is running TPC-B-like but with 8GB of RAM and ealrier code, while the hot stuff is #3, running TPC-B with 16GB of RAM and code that tracks buffers_backend_fsyncs.<br><br>There are several patches in the PostgreSQL 9.1 queue related to performance in the areas highlighted by these reults--that Linux can have extremely high worst-case latency on write-heavy database loads.&nbsp; A good averagish example is&nbsp;<a href="http://www.2ndquadrant.us/pgbench-results/215/index.html" style="background-color: transparent; color: rgb(18, 18, 18); " target="_blank" target="_blank"><b>test 215</b></a>:&nbsp; scale of 1000, 32 clients, 365 TPS.,&nbsp; But the worst-case latency is 43 seconds, and you can see the dead spots in the TPS graph.&nbsp; That's just terrible, and there are a few concepts floating around for how to do just that.<br><br>If anyone reading this has a powerful server available for a few weeks to run tests like this on, I'd be happy to help you replicate this environment and see what kind of results you see.&nbsp; The only magic I've got is some practice at how to set the scaling and client loads so you don't loose a lot of time to unproductive tests.&nbsp; The rest of my process is all free and documented.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br></div></div><div class="asset-footer" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><div class="entry-categories" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><br></div></div></span>
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则 发表回复

北京盛拓优讯信息技术有限公司. 版权所有 京ICP备16024965号-6 北京市公安局海淀分局网监中心备案编号:11010802020122 niuxiaotong@pcpop.com 17352615567
未成年举报专区
中国互联网协会会员  联系我们:huangweiwei@itpub.net
感谢所有关心和支持过ChinaUnix的朋友们 转载本站内容请注明原作者名及出处

清除 Cookies - ChinaUnix - Archiver - WAP - TOP