平台 论坛 博客 文库
最近访问板块 发新帖
查看: 1318 | 回复: 0

日落之前(Before Sunset ) [复制链接]

论坛徽章:
发表于 2011-12-23 01:20 |显示全部楼层

Before Sunset (2004) script

Opening Titles

As Julie Delpy’s song “An Ocean Apart” plays, we see a reverse-order montage of all the scenes in Paris, France where the story will take place. The montage of Paris cleverly mirrors the ending sequence seen in “Before Sunrise” of the scenes they used in Vienna, Austria.

Montage Scenes:

(Scene VII) Walkway in Court de l’Etoile d’Or [1] to Céline’s apartment

(Scene VII) Exterior of Court de l’Etoile d’Or (Scene V) Quai de la Tournelle [2], looking from the east to the rear of Notre Dame Cathedral

(Scene IV) La Promenade Plantée [3]

(Scene IV) Avenue Daumesnil outside of La Promenade Plantée

(Scene III) Le Pure Café [4]

(Scene II) rue Eginhard or rue Charlemagne in Le Marais

(Scene II) rue des Jardins St. Paul [5] in Le Marais

(Scene II) rue St. Julien le Pauvre [6] in Quartier Latin, looking south toward rue Galande

(Scene I) Shakespeare & Co. Bookstore [7]

Search for the phrase “Location notes” throughout this transcript to find addresses and directions to all scenes used in this film.

“An Ocean Apart” by Julie Delpy

Now, we are together Sitting outside in the sunshine. But soon we’ll be apart And soon it’ll be night at noon.

Now, things are fine The clouds are far away, up in the sky But soon, I’ll be on a plane And soon, you’ll feel the cold rain.

You promised to stay in touch when we part You promised before I left that you’ll always love me Time goes by and people cry And everything goes too fast.

(The song cuts here at the end of the opening titles. Scene I begins immediately.)

Scene I – Shakespeare & Co. Bookstore

Location notes: the Shakespeare & Co. Bookstore is located at 37 rue de la Bcherie in the 5th arrondissement. It faces la Seine river from the Left Bank, looking out toward Notre Dame Cathedral from the south. The surrounding neighborhood is densely populated by students who attend high school and university, including la Sorbonne, where Céline studied. This is one of the best walking neighborhoods in all of Paris. Metro: St. Michel stop on line 4, or Maubert stop on line 10. Web: .

(We see the outside of the bookstore, then two signs: the first, a printed sign that reads “New Release, Jesse Wallace, This Time”; the second reads “Today, In Store Appearance, Author Jesse Wallace, Reading & Q & A, 5:30 P.M.” Inside, Jesse is sitting at a table with copies of his book lying in front of him. Several reporters sit opposite Jesse. The bookstore owner sits to Jesse’s right.)

Female reporter: Do you consider the book to be autobiographical?

Jesse: Hmmm...well, I mean, isn’t everything autobiographical? I mean, we all see the world through our own tiny keyhole, right? I mean, I always think of Thomas Wolfe, you know, have you ever seen that little one page note to reader in the front of "Look Homeward, Angel," right, you know what I'm talking about? Anyway, he says that we are the sum of all the moments of our lives, and that, uh, anybody who sits down to write is gonna use the clay of their own life, that you can't avoid that. So when I look at my own life, you know, I have to admit, right...that I've... I've never been around a bunch of, a bunch of guns, or violence. You know, not really. No political intrigue or, uh, helicopter crash, right? (Nods at the bookstore owner, who nods back.)

But my life, from my own point of view, has been full of drama, right? And, uh, so I thought that if I could write a book that...that could capture what it's like to really meet somebody. I mean one of the most exciting things that's ever happened to me is to really meet somebody, make that connection, and if I could...make that valuable, you know, to capture that, that would be the attempt or...Did I answer your question?

Female reporter: I'll try to be more specific. Were there ever a French young woman on the train you met, and...spent an evening with?

Jesse: (Sighs.) See, to me, that...that's not important, you know?

Female reporter: So that's a "yes".

Jesse: (With great hesitation.) Alright, since I'm in France and this is the last stop on my book tour, "yes". (Light laughter from everybody in the room.)

Male reporter: Mr. Wallace, the book ends on an ambiguous note. We don't know. Do you think they get back together in six months, like they promise each other?

Jesse: Like they promised, uh... I think how you answer that, you know, is, uh...You know, it's... It's a good test. Right? If you're a romantic or a cynic. I mean, uh, you think (pointing at the female reporter)...you think they get back together, (pointing at a second male reporter) you don't, for sure, and (pointing at the questioner) you hope they do, but, you know, you’re not sure so that’s why you're asking the question.

Female reporter: And...do you think they get back together? I mean, did you, in real life?

Jesse: (Sighs.) Did I real...(Sighs again, then smiles.) Look, see, in the words of my grandfather, OK...to answer that, would take the piss out of the whole thing.

Female reporter: (Disappointed.) Oh, no...

Bookstore owner: We just have the time for one last question.

Male reporter: What is, uh, your next book?

Jesse: Ah...I don't know, man, I don't know...I've been...I've been thinking about this...Well, I always kind of wanted to write a book that all took place within the space of a pop song, you know, like 3 or 4 minutes long, the whole thing.

The story, the idea is that...there's this guy. Right? And...he's totally depressed. I mean, his great dream was to be a lover, an adventurer, you know, riding motorcycles through South America, and instead he's sitting at a marble table, eating lobster, and he's got a good job and a beautiful wife, right? But you know, everything that he needs. But that doesn't matter, 'cause what he wants is to fight for meaning.

You know, happiness is in the doing, right, not in the... getting what you want. So, he's sitting there, and just at that second, his little five year old daughter hops up on the table. And he knows that she should get down 'cause she could get hurt, but she's dancing to this pop song, in a summer dress. And he looks down, and all of a sudden, uh, he is sixteen. And...his high school sweetheart is dropping him off, at home. And they've just lost their virginity, and she loves him, and the same song is playing on the car radio, and she climbs up and starts dancing on the roof of the car. And now, now he's worried about her! And she’s beautiful, with a...a facial expression just like his daughter‘s. In fact, you know, maybe that's why he even likes her. You see, he knows he's not remembering this dance, he's there. He's there in both moments simultaneously. And just like for an instance (snaps his fingers), all his life is just folding in on itself and it's obvious to him that time is a lie...(Jesse motions to his right, and sees Céline standing against the wall, listening to him) uh...that's it's all happening all the time and inside every moment is another moment, all...You know, happening simultaneously.

And, anyway, that’s…that's kind of the idea...anyway.

Bookstore owner: Well, our author has to be going to the airport soon, so thank you all very much for coming here this afternoon. And a special thanks to Mr. Wallace for being with us. (Claps, and others join in clapping.) We hope to see you here again for your next book.

Merci a tous et a toutes d'etre venues. Comme vous voyez il y a du champagne, il y a des petites choses a grignoter, donc, servez-vous. (Thank you everyone for coming, as you can see we have some champagne and snacks, so help yourselves.)

Jesse: Thank you all. (To the bookstore owner.) How much longer before I have to go to the airport?

Bookstore owner: Oh, you should leave at 7:30. (Motioning with a program in his left hand.) 7:30 at the very latest!

Jesse: OK.

(Jesse walks to the back of the bookstore toward Céline. He smiles.)

Jesse: Hi.

Céline: Hello.

(Laughing, they exchange two French bisous – light kisses on the left and right cheeks.)

Jesse: How are you?

Céline: Good, and you?

Jesse: I'm...good, yeah, I'm great, I'm...uh...Do you want to...maybe get a cup of coffee?

Céline: Didn't you just say you have a plane to catch?

Jesse: Uh…yeah...(He looks back to the front of the store, then back at Céline.) But, I mean, I have a little time.

Céline: OK.

Jesse: Yeah? Well, let me um...(Motions to the front of the store.)

Céline: I'll meet you outside. (Nods.) OK.

(Jesse walks to the front of the store toward the bookstore owner.)

Jesse: Excuse me, I'm just gonna go out and get a cup of coffee, and be back at 7:15.

Bookstore owner: Did you sign all these? (Motions to a stack of books.)

Jesse: Um yeah, I sure did.

Bookstore owner: Well, get your driver Philippe's card so that you can call his cell phone if you're running late. And we will put your bags in the car so you are not! late! going to the airport!

Jesse: Alright, thanks for everything. (To the female reporter, as he quickly shakes her hand.) Merci beaucoup, mademoiselle.

(At this precise moment, Jesse passes up the chance to get the reporter’s number, who surely would have given it to him.)

Which one's Philippe?

Bookstore owner: Philippe, passe lui ta carte pour qu'il ait ton numero portable, hein? Merci. (Philippe, give him your card so he can call you on your cell phone, okay? Thank you.)

(Philippe searches for a card in his jacket pocket.)

Scene II – Walk From Bookstore to Le Pure Café

Location notes: this walk, as seen on film, cannot be duplicated exactly because Linklater cuts the camera not once, but twice between locations that are non-adjacent to each other. Therefore, the walk consists actually of 3 discrete segments: 1) through Quartlier Latin in the 5th arrondissement, the neighborhood immediately surrounding the bookstore; 2) through Le Marais in the 4th arrondissement; and 3) very briefly in the 11th arrondissement immediately outside the café. Look for additional “Location notes” in this section to guide you through each specific segment of the walk. Because each segment is quite far from one another, you should allow at least 1 hour to complete the journey from the bookstore to the café, in sequence.

(Céline waits outside the bookstore for Jesse, standing next to a statue. Her arms are crossed, and she looks down, appearing a bit anxious. Jesse walks out of the bookstore toward her, and smiles broadly, appearing more relaxed than before.)

Jesse: I can't believe you're here!

Céline: Well, I live here in Paris. Are you sure you don't have to stay, you're not supposed to talk some more?

Jesse: No, no, no, they‘re sick of me, I spent the night here last night. (Motions to the bookstore.)

Céline: Oh, you did?

Jesse: Yeah, yeah, they've got a loft upstairs.

Céline: Oh, wow. (Looks up toward the 2nd level of the bookstore.)

Jesse: Anyway, how are you? (Nervously clasping his hands together.) This is so weird.

Céline: I'm fine, it's... It's good to see you.

Jesse: It's good to see you.

(They pause awkwardly for a few moments.)

Céline: So you want to go to a cafe? (Points to her left.)

Jesse: Uh, yeah...(Waves his right hand over his abdomen.)

Céline: OK, there's one a little further, that I like. (They start walking away from the bookstore.)

Jesse: I...I...I thought I was gonna totally lose it in there. When I first saw you...I mean, how did you even know I was going to be here?

Céline: Well, it's my favorite bookstore in Paris. I, um...You can sit down for hours and read. I love it. There's fleas, but, you know...

Jesse: I know, I know, I think a cat slept on my head last night. (Motions toward his head.)

Location notes: Jesse and Céline turn right down rue Saint Julien le Pauvre as they walk past an accordionist.

Céline: So, I saw your picture on the calendar about a month ago.

Jesse: Yeah?

Céline: And that you were going to be here. It's funny because I read an article on your book, and, uh, it sounded vaguely familiar?

Jesse: Vaguely, yeah. (They both laugh.)

Céline: Yes. But I didn't put it all together until I saw your photo, so...

Jesse: Did you have a chance to read it?

Céline: Yes! I…um...I was really, really surprised as you can imagine, I mean...I had to read it twice, actually. (Furrows her brow, and looks down.)

Jesse: Yeah?

Céline: Yeah.

Jesse: Comme ci, comme ca? (Waves his hand as if to indicate the book was not very good reading.)

Céline: No, I liked it! It's, uh, very romantic. I usually don't like that... but it's, uh, really well written. It's really well written, no, I really...Congratulations! (Puts both hands on Jesse’s left forearm as if to reassure him.)

Wait! (They stop walking, and turn to face each other.) Before we go anywhere, I have a...I have to ask you...

Jesse: Sure, what?

Céline: Did you show up in Vienna, that December?

Jesse: (Clutches at the waist of his pants, and looks to his left.) Uh, did you? (Looks her in the eye again.)

Céline: No, I couldn't, but...Did you? I need to know, it's important to me.

Jesse: (Looks down.) Why, if you didn't?

Céline: (More earnestly.) Well, did you?

Jesse: No. (Shakes his head.)

Céline: Oh, thank God you didn't! (Breathes a loud sigh of relief.) Oh my god! (They start walking forward again.)

Jesse: I mean, thank God I didn't, and you didn't! I mean, if one of us had showed up there alone, then that would have sucked.

Céline: I know! I know! I know! I was so concerned with that. I always felt horrible about not being there, but I couldn't! You know, my grandma died a few days before, and she was buried that day, December 16th, that day!

Jesse: She died, the one in Budapest?

Céline: Yes, you remember that?

Jesse: Yeah, I remember everything.

Céline: Of course, it was in your book. But anyway, I was about to fly to Vienna, you know, and I...and we heard the news about her, and of course I took her to the funeral with my parents.

Jesse: Yeah, well, I'm sorry to hear that.

Céline: I know. But you weren't there anyway. (Stops to face him again, and nudges him on the elbow.) Wait. Why weren't you there? I would have been there if I could have, I made plans, and...Wait. You‘d better have a good reason! (Jesse looks down to his left, then back at her without saying anything.)

What?! (Studies his expression.) Oh...no! No, you were there, weren't you? (He blinks both eyes once, as of to say yes.) Oh, no, that's terrible! (Walks away from him, hiding her face. He follows, momentarily one step behind.) I know I'm laughing, but I don't mean it! Did you hate me? You must have hated me. Have you been hating me all this time? You have!

Location notes: Jesse and Céline turn left and walk down rue Galande toward rue Dante.

Jesse: No, no...

Céline: Yes, you have! Oh, but you can't hate me now, right? I mean, my grandma...

Jesse: I don't hate you, alright? Come on, it's no big deal, alright? I flew all the way over there, you blew the thing off, and then my life has been a big nosedive since then, but I mean it's not a problem.

Céline: No, you can't say that!

Jesse: No, I'm kidding, I'm kidding. (Puts his hand on her shoulder to reassure her.)

Céline: Oh, I can't believe it, you must have been so angry with me... I'm so sorry, I really wanted to be there, more than anything in the world! I swear...Honestly, I swear...I mean, you can't be angry...my grandmother...

Jesse: No, I know, I know, I honestly thought that something like that might have happened. I was definitely bummed, but...Mostly, I was jut mad we hadn't exchanged any phone numbers or any information.

Céline: I know, that was so stupid, no way to get in touch. I didn't even know your last name.

Jesse: I know, we had nothing to go on. I know, I know...remember, I mean we were both afraid that if we started writing and calling, that it would slowly...you know, fade out.

Céline: Yeah, it definitely wasn't a slow fade.

Jesse: No, it sure wasn't. (Laughs, and looks at Céline.)

Céline: I know, we wanted to pick it up were we left off.

Jesse: Which would have been fine if it had worked.

Céline: Yes, good idea.

Jesse: Oh well.

Céline: (Sighs loudly.) How long were you in Vienna, then?

Jesse: Just a couple of days.

Céline: Did you meet another girl?

Jesse: Aah, yeah. Her name was Gretchen, and she was amazing.

Céline: You did?

Jesse: Yeah, the book is really a composite of the two of you.

Céline: Really? Oh, no!

Jesse: No, I'm kidding! You wouldn't believe it, I even went back to the train station. I put up, you know, signs of my number, (Céline sighs loudly again) and the hotel, in case you've been delayed. I was a total dork.

Céline: Let's go this way. Did you get any calls?

Location notes: Jesse and Céline turn right. At this point, the camera cuts suddenly from the end of rue Galande to the crossroad of rue de l'Ave Maria and rue des Jardins St-Paul in the 4th arrondissement. You must cross the river via l’Ile St. Louis, and walk about 15 minutes. Metro: Pont Marie stop on Line 7. They walk up rue des Jardins St-Paul to rue Charlemagne. On their left, you can see the playground of Lycee Charlemagne.

Jesse: Just a couple hookers, looking for a gig. No, it was awful. I mean, what do you want me to say?

Céline: Oh, it's so sad. I'm so sorry!

Jesse: I walked around for a couple of days. Eventually, I flew home, I owed my dad 2000 bucks, who had warned me about French chicks, I have to say.

Céline: (Defensively.) What did he tell you about French women?

Jesse: Nothing, the guy... he's never met any French women. He's never been east of the Mississippi. (Céline laughs.)

Céline: So why didn't you put that “six months later, uh, the French bitch didn't have show up.” You know, like...

Jesse: But I did, I did.

Céline: You did?

Jesse: Yeah, no, I mean I made it more hopeful. I wrote this whole fictional version in which you actually do show up.

<P div <>

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则 发表回复

北京盛拓优讯信息技术有限公司. 版权所有 京ICP备16024965号-6 北京市公安局海淀分局网监中心备案编号:11010802020122 niuxiaotong@pcpop.com 17352615567
未成年举报专区
中国互联网协会会员  联系我们:huangweiwei@itpub.net
感谢所有关心和支持过ChinaUnix的朋友们 转载本站内容请注明原作者名及出处

清除 Cookies - ChinaUnix - Archiver - WAP - TOP