查看: 2367 | 回复: 3
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[zz] Too Easy or Too Hard [复制链接]

论坛徽章:
跳转到指定楼层
1 [收藏(0)] [报告]
发表于 2010-10-10 16:27 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
作者:Dave Cross

We hear a lot of people complaining that programming in Perl is too difficult, but I think that a lot of these problems stem from people making the opposite assumption – that writing Perl is easier than it actually is. Let me share a couple of examples. I’ve lightly disguised the companies in question – so if you think you recognise a place where we’ve worked together you’re probably wrong.

In the first, I’m working for a global organisation. Most of their bespoke software is written in Java, but (like pretty much every company) there are a few Perl programs running vital parts of the infrastructure. This company have also outsourced a lot of their maintenance work to another company in India. This Indian company has dozens of people who are dedicated to working on my client’s systems. But they are Java programmers and every once in while they need to do some work on a Perl program.

This company has an internal IRC network and there’s a Perl channel which I keep half an eye on whilst getting on with my work (which is maintaining a huge Perl program). A few times a day one of these Java programmers turns up on the Perl channel explaining a problem they have to solve in a Perl program and asking for help. In pretty much every case, the problem boils down to the Java programmer having major misconceptions about how Perl works. Perl programmers on the channel try their hardest to to help, but it’s often a frustrating experience. Usually the correct answer is “go away and read Learning Perl and Intermediate Perl, then you will understand how the code works”. But these programmers don’t have the time to do that. They need this task finished in an hour. Often it’s a task that could be easily achieved in an hour – but only after you’ve done the groundwork of understanding how Perl works.

The problem this company had was that Perl wasn’t seen as being as important as it actually was. People in the Indian company saw it as a “scripting language” that any of their (no doubt highly qualified) Java programmers would be able to use without any preparation or training. That’s clearly not the case.

But, I hear you say, that’s not fair. Perl and Java are really different languages. I’m glad you pointed that out as it’s a nice link to my second example.

In this example, I’m working for a dotcom company London. Like so many dotcom companies they have a Perl codebase that was thrown together five years ago in a couple of months by people who didn’t really know what they were doing. This company has the added problem that they are finding it hard to recruit people with Perl experience. So they start recruiting people with experience of languages like Python and Ruby in the belief that these languages are so similar that the programming skills are completely interchangeable.

And, of course, Perl, Ruby and Python are all a lot closer to each other than they are to languages like Java. But there are differences. Important differences that aren’t just syntactic. I can read Python and Ruby just fine. But if I got a job where I had to write a lot of either of those languages, I wouldn’t assume that I could just pick it up by osmosis, I’d get a book and read about the language. If I was going permanent at the company, I might even suggest that they send me on a training course.

Conversations with these non-Perl programmers often took a predictable course. They’d start complaining that the code was hard to read. This was hard to counter as a lot of the code was horrible. But if you pointed out some of the newer and better code, they wouldn’t see the improvement. They would insist that somehow Ruby or Python code was inherently easier to read than Perl code. I’d try to point out that Perl programmers find Perl code as easy to read as Python (or Ruby) programmers find Python (or Ruby).

So there seems to be this perception that Perl should be as easy to read as Random Programmer’s favourite language. And I don’t understand why that is. Just because I’ve been programming for almost thirty years, I don’t expect to be able to program in any language I happen to look at – well, certainly not well enough to be paid for doing it.

I’m not sure what we can do to counter this misconception. I think it probably stems from the late 90s when everyone was writing Perl. And if everyone is doing something, then it must be really easy.Of course, most people were writing really horrible Perl because Perl isn’t as easy as they thought it was.

Not sure it’s possible to sum this up in a simple marketing slogan. “Perl is Easy (but not as easy as you think)”.

论坛徽章:
未羊
日期:2014-09-08 22:47:27
2 [报告]
发表于 2010-10-10 19:33 |只看该作者
谁辛苦翻译一下。呵呵
My English is very poor.

论坛徽章:
3 [报告]
发表于 2010-10-11 22:28 |只看该作者
perl比C/C++复杂多了

论坛徽章:
15-16赛季CBA联赛之四川
日期:2018-03-27 11:59:132015年亚洲杯之沙特阿拉伯
日期:2015-04-11 17:31:45天蝎座
日期:2015-03-25 16:56:49双鱼座
日期:2015-03-25 16:56:30摩羯座
日期:2015-03-25 16:56:09巳蛇
日期:2015-03-25 16:55:30卯兔
日期:2015-03-25 16:54:29子鼠
日期:2015-03-25 16:53:59申猴
日期:2015-03-25 16:53:29寅虎
日期:2015-03-25 16:52:29羊年新春福章
日期:2015-03-25 16:51:212015亚冠之布里斯班狮吼
日期:2015-07-13 10:44:56
4 [报告]
发表于 2010-10-11 23:24 |只看该作者
perl 明显比 C 要简单的多语法上可能比C略微复杂些,但是数据结构和库函数上要方便得多。要用个 hash 在 C 里面还要自己实现要熟悉相应的算法和数据结构,这难道能叫容易。至于学习时候真正占时间的正则、unicode、网络、线程、系统调用等学 C 不也要单独学习,而且 学 C 还要注意无数的系统差异。除了写底层代码 perl 比 C 简单太多了吧?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则 发表回复

北京盛拓优讯信息技术有限公司. 版权所有 京ICP备16024965号-6 北京市公安局海淀分局网监中心备案编号:11010802020122 niuxiaotong@pcpop.com 17352615567
未成年举报专区
中国互联网协会会员  联系我们:huangweiwei@itpub.net
感谢所有关心和支持过ChinaUnix的朋友们 转载本站内容请注明原作者名及出处

清除 Cookies - ChinaUnix - Archiver - WAP - TOP