最近访问板块 发新帖
查看: 946 | 回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Install Fedora Core 4 in Thinkpad T42 [复制链接]

论坛徽章:
跳转到指定楼层
1 [收藏(0)] [报告]
发表于 2006-05-03 13:03 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览

I know that I can't escape this....eventually this would hunt me down and catch me with horrendous destruction.......
Oookei, I just want to install Linux in my Thinkpad, but, on the other hand, I just don't want lose my music with iTune. So I decide that I am gonna set up a dual boot computer(meybe triple boot) and install Fedora Core 4 and Windows XP Pro with SP2. You might ask that why Fedora Core? Well I have been using it since a couple of years ago,
so....And again, you might ask why not "Vmware"....yeah, I guess I am the kind of  people that like purity...so Fedora Core on Vmware on Windows Xp likes a fake, unpure thing to me...you know what I mean.
Well, let me cut the crap and start what I am suppose to start: install Fedora Core 4 in IBM Thinkpad T42. The
Keunwoo Lee's Guide installing FC 3 in T42
  is a great source for installing FC 4 in T42. My installation precedures consists of Partitioning and installing.
1. Partioning
Windows XP pro is already pre-installed when I recieved my Thinkpad T42. I need to create a partition for installing FC4. According to
Keunwoo Lee
, Partition Magic partition in NTFS file system fails to create recognisable partition for FC3(FC3 shorts for Fedora Core 3). Hence, I took his advise and burned a
GPart
ed live CD for partitioing my hard disk.
Partitioning went quite smooth with Gparted and I would say "kudo! For those guys created the software". I booted my pc with GParted-LiveCD and with a little configuration of the Xorg, vualla! the GParted GUI showed up. GParted GUI is quite user-friendly and it didn't take too long to figure out how to create an ext2 partition. I didn't touch the hidden partition came with IBM and squized up 20G space for Linux installation.
2. Installing
The installation went quite smooth and FC4 works perfectly in my T42. I burned FC4 image files and insert the first installation disk to my Thinkpad and then just followed theinstruction throughout the whole installation procedures.

3. Conclusion
Francly speaking, I was expacting something light(at least lighter than Windows XP) but the FC4 with Gnome become quite clumsy when I start up my computer. It seems to that Linux is becomming more Windows looking, which is fine for me. But the performance issue must be addressed to differentiate the Linux with Windows. I install Eclipse and I don't see any improvement on the performance and I am little disappointed at it.
To be continued

本文来自ChinaUnix博客,如果查看原文请点:http://blog.chinaunix.net/u/13206/showart_107990.html
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则 发表回复

北京盛拓优讯信息技术有限公司. 版权所有 京ICP备16024965号-6 北京市公安局海淀分局网监中心备案编号:11010802020122 niuxiaotong@pcpop.com 17352615567
未成年举报专区
中国互联网协会会员  联系我们:huangweiwei@itpub.net
感谢所有关心和支持过ChinaUnix的朋友们 转载本站内容请注明原作者名及出处

清除 Cookies - ChinaUnix - Archiver - WAP - TOP